Road trip season is in full swing here in Michigan! Our family of five is so excited for the many trips that we will embark on this summer. As much as I loathe the winter months, there’s nothing like Michigan summers. And road trips around our great state are the best time for short, but quality time spent traveling with our boys. Whether it’s a quick day trip or a weekend (or week long) trip, there are so many wonderful places to visit around Michigan. The lakes and towns make for great destinations where the whole family can enjoy all of the activities from local eats to historic places to visit.
The boys are so helpful with packing their bags in preparation for our family road trips. Especially packing their favorite snacks on the go, Kraft Trios SnackFuns. The Strawberry Waffles flavor includes all of their favorites: dried strawberries, waffle crisps and Colby Jack cheese.
But, of course, there’s gotta be something to keep D and I’s hunger at bay too. We both love the Kraft Trios SnackFulls that are the perfect snack to take with us on the go. Our favorite flavor is a snack mix of Colby Jack cheese with a kick of indulgence in the dark chocolate bites and dried banana chips. We enjoy all of the different flavors and mixes. These snack packs with cheese offer the perfect combination of salty and sweet taste as we drive to our destination. It’s easy to be prepped for our road trips by picking up our favorite on the road snack during our usual visit to Kroger.
Summer road trips are the best, aren’t they? For those of you who are curious about where we enjoy taking the boys…
Our Top 5 Michigan Destinations for Road Trips are:
- Grand Haven, Michigan
- Grand Haven lies the eastern shore of Lake Michigan and we love the sandy beaches. It’s like our little tropical getaway just a few hours away. There’s so many cute shops and restaurants on the boardwalk. Their state park and the south pier (where the infamous lighthouse is located) are must sees and dos whenever we visit. There’s lots of trails with lake views and fun light and water shows at the musical fountain that the boys love to watch too!
- Mackinac Island, Michigan:
- Mackinac Island is on Lake Huron, right where Michigan’s Upper and Lower peninsulas meet. As a history major, I love that the island is full of remarkable historic building and local works and offers so many wonderful things about Michigan, like the delicious Mackinac Island fudge. We rent bicycles to ride around the island and can’t wait to take the boys this summer to see some war time reenactments at the Fort. The most fun part about the island is that there are no cars! I love hearing the stories from the locals who live there year round.
- Frankenmuth, Michigan:
- Frankenmuth is just a short hour drive away. We love taking day trips there to visit Bronner’s Christmas Wonderland or to spend the day at Zehnder’s Splash Village. The downtown area features a lot of Bavarian styled buildings and homes. Downtown Frankenmuth has a lot of cute shops and restaurants for the whole family to enjoy!
- Grand Rapids, Michigan:
- We haven’t been with the boys yet, but we can’t wait to explore the second largest city in Michigan. GR is quickly becoming the destination for visitors from all over. Being one of the bigger metropolitan areas in our state, there’s no shortage of great eateries and places to shop. If you’re looking for furniture, then this is the place to be! We have friends who live there and love the culture that surrounds them. I can’t wait to take the boys on a road trip soon.
- Traverse City, Michigan:
- TC is like a home away from home summer road trip destination for us. From the lakeshore to the sand dunes, wineries and delicious restaurants and local boutiques, our whole family enjoys our weekend trips to Traverse City. We’ve been there at least once or twice a year and we’re always finding something new to do with (or without) the boys. There is no shortage of things to do in this town.
The Best Road Trip Snack for the Whole Family
Top 5 Michigan Destinations