Time moves fast and stands still all at once in parenting.
It starts whizzing by from the day your child is born. It becomes a new phenomenon. The wonder and bewilderment of not knowing where the time has gone. One day you’re holding a tiny baby in your arms and the next, they’re toddling off into anything and everything.
Then you have your second child and the speed of time doubles, leaving you utterly speechless.
This last year has gone by in the blink of my mama eyes.
But then there are those moments. The ones that are forever frozen in time. The memories you hope to hold onto for as long as possible. The moments that you hope to carry with you long after they’re no longer babies, because you’ve well learned, that babies just don’t keep. But, maybe the memories will keep for your lifetime. You’ll wistfully think of them from time to time and wonder to yourself, wasn’t it just yesterday?
- It was just yesterday that you snuggled your curled up body on my chest and nuzzled your fuzzy head under my chin. And I deliriously breathed in that sweet, sweet newborn scent.
- It was just yesterday, that you were so teeny tiny. Your dad and I moved our hands ever so gently, while changing that newborn size diaper, praying that we didn’t break any of your bones.
- It was just yesterday, that you looked up for the first time and stared right into my eyes. You gave me our special signal silently through those big, puppy dog eyes, “you’re mine, you’re my mama.”
- It was just yesterday, that your big brother sat ever so still with a padded cushion placed carefully on his lap. He so excitedly held you, his “teeny baby bwudder, my best fwend.”
- It was just yesterday, that I stared at you sleeping, hoping that you would sleep through the night, instead of getting some sleep myself.
- It was just yesterday, that you smiled and let out your first belly laugh, and I felt the most innocent joy in hearing your laughter.
- It was just yesterday, that I nursed you in my arms, and watched you fall asleep. Because bedtime, that was always our special time, just you and me.
- It was just yesterday, that you started to give me those sloppy, open mouth kisses. The sweetest kisses ever.
- It was just yesterday, that you took a huge chunk of avocado and rubbed it all over my face, while sticking that tiny tongue out like you played your first prank on your mama.
- It was just yesterday, that you took your first steps, and we, your #1 cheerleaders, clapped with so much delight at your new found milestone.
- It was just yesterday, that you screamed with delight playing with the water table. You looked up at your big brother with so much love and adoration.
- It was just yesterday, that you started bobbing your head and shimmying your shoulders, when we sang your favorite songs.
The first year of a baby’s life is full of so many milestones. The list could go on and on. In the midst of all the memories, time is always so fleeting.
And just like that, in the blink of a mother’s eye, you are 1.
Time flies in motherhood, doesn’t it?
More Motherhood Reflections: